We are hoping to get some more retired racers soon. Stay Tuned!
**Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have limited hounds entering the program. Please check this page often for updates.
SCG transitions each greyhound from the track into a boarding kennel and then into a permanent home. Meet our greyhounds waiting for a couch to call their own!
Retired Greyhounds Transitioning Off Track
At the boarding kennel, there are trained personnel to watch the greyhound recover after recent spay or neuter surgery or other medical treatments.
They also assist with helping the greyhound adjust to a new diet. The Golden Bone Pet Resort houses a limited number of greyhounds that enter our program. Here are some of the things that we have discovered through using a boarding kennel for their transition:
- Greyhounds move into a “forever” home when they are adopted, rather than transitioning from a foster home. The greyhound’s first bonding experience will be in the home with the person(s) who adopted him/her.
- Using a boarding facility can provide adopters with the flexibility to schedule a visit with the greyhounds Monday through Saturday with an SCG volunteer.
Adopting a Greyhound
The Adoption Application** has been designed to aid both you and Steel City Greyhounds in deciding if you and/or your family are ready for the responsibility. Please fill out the application within a week or so of hoping to adopt. (No need to apply months ahead of time as we will not officially screen an application until your family is 100% ready.)
If you have young children or if you are planning for a family:
SCG enforces the following requirements for any family with children 8 years old and under:
- Along with reading one of our recommended books about adopting a retired racing greyhound, SCG requires that you read “Childproofing Your Dog” by Brian Kilcommons.
- We require that families with children 8 years old and under must have a fenced-in yard.
- Every family who has a child or children 8 years old and under will go through a secondary screening, a home visit, and the SCG board will vote on approval.
Please Note: Available greyhound visits are pre-scheduled with approved applicants ONLY!
ADOPTION PENDING | Parting Glass – Black Female
Parting Glass is a sweet black female hound born in May of 2019. She has been very curious on her walks with our volunteers but takes direction very well on a lead. This sweet girl is not compatible with kitties.
ADOPTED | Bart’s On the Trail – Black Male
Bart is a handsome black hound born in August of 2019. Our volunteers tell us he is very laid back and walks well on a leash. He’s somewhat of a leaner. Are you ready to have this sweet boy join your family? Bart seemed a little interested in our kitty during our first test, so we’ll test him again soon to confirm compatibility.
ADOPTED | Roadrunner – Brindle Female
Roadrunner is the sweetest brindle female! Our volunteers tell us that in addition to walking well on a lead, she’s very comfortable in the car. During her walk through the park, she stayed close to her volunteer with no pulling or lurching. She was born in 2018 and seemed mildly interested in our kitty during their initial meet and greet. We’ll have another meeting before we confirm if she is cat and small animal safe.
Not ready or able to adopt? Consider donating.
Donations are always needed for dog medical expenses and other program-related costs. Donating is easy via our PayPal button below. Thank You.