We are hoping to get some more retired racers soon. Stay Tuned!
**Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have limited hounds entering the program. Please check this page often for updates.
SCG transitions each greyhound from the track into a boarding kennel and then into a permanent home. Meet our greyhounds waiting for a couch to call their own!
Retired Greyhounds Transitioning Off Track
At the boarding kennel, there are trained personnel to watch the greyhound recover after recent spay or neuter surgery or other medical treatments.
They also assist with helping the greyhound adjust to a new diet. The Golden Bone Pet Resort houses a limited number of greyhounds that enter our program. Here are some of the things that we have discovered through using a boarding kennel for their transition:
- Greyhounds move into a “forever” home when they are adopted, rather than transitioning from a foster home. The greyhound’s first bonding experience will be in the home with the person(s) who adopted him/her.
- Using a boarding facility can provide adopters with the flexibility to schedule a visit with the greyhounds Monday through Saturday with an SCG volunteer.
Adopting a Greyhound
The Adoption Application** has been designed to aid both you and Steel City Greyhounds in deciding if you and/or your family are ready for the responsibility. Please fill out the application within a week or so of hoping to adopt. (No need to apply months ahead of time as we will not officially screen an application until your family is 100% ready.)
If you have young children or if you are planning for a family:
SCG enforces the following requirements for any family with children 8 years old and under:
- Along with reading one of our recommended books about adopting a retired racing greyhound, SCG requires that you read “Childproofing Your Dog” by Brian Kilcommons.
- We require that families with children 8 years old and under must have a fenced-in yard.
- Every family who has a child or children 8 years old and under will go through a secondary screening, a home visit, and the SCG board will vote on approval.
Please Note: Available greyhound visits are pre-scheduled with approved applicants ONLY!
ADOPTION PENDING | Nana – Female Brindle
Nana is a three-and-a-half year old female who is recently off the track. She is a super sweet little lady with high prey drive and a lot of energy. She loves to jump, nuzzle with humans, and wag her tail. Careful though, she tried to chase a squirrel up a tree while walking with one of our volunteers!
Nana is still getting used to our kennel and will be cat-tested soon.
Poe – Black Male
Poe is a handsome, very young boy. He was born in January, 2019! Don’t let his youth fool you, this young man is a total leaner and lover. He’s a bit relaxed but he’s still finding his comfort zone. He walks very well on a lead and wanted to be right next to our volunteer when she walked him.
Poe’s also still transitioning and has not yet met our kitty. We’ll update soon when we know how he’ll fair with smaller animals and cats.
Not ready or able to adopt? Consider donating.
Donations are always needed for dog medical expenses and other program-related costs. Donating is easy via our PayPal button below. Thank You.