We are hoping to get some more retired racers soon. Stay Tuned!
**Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we have limited hounds entering the program. Please check this page often for updates.
SCG transitions each greyhound from the track into a boarding kennel and then into a permanent home. Meet our greyhounds waiting for a couch to call their own!
Retired Greyhounds Transitioning Off Track
At the boarding kennel, there are trained personnel to watch the greyhound recover after recent spay or neuter surgery or other medical treatments.
They also assist with helping the greyhound adjust to a new diet. The Golden Bone Pet Resort houses a limited number of greyhounds that enter our program. Here are some of the things that we have discovered through using a boarding kennel for their transition:
- Greyhounds move into a “forever” home when they are adopted, rather than transitioning from a foster home. The greyhound’s first bonding experience will be in the home with the person(s) who adopted him/her.
- Using a boarding facility can provide adopters with the flexibility to schedule a visit with the greyhounds Monday through Saturday with an SCG volunteer.
Adopting a Greyhound
The Adoption Application** has been designed to aid both you and Steel City Greyhounds in deciding if you and/or your family are ready for the responsibility. Please fill out the application within a week or so of hoping to adopt. (No need to apply months ahead of time as we will not officially screen an application until your family is 100% ready.)
If you have young children or if you are planning for a family:
SCG enforces the following requirements for any family with children 8 years old and under:
- Along with reading one of our recommended books about adopting a retired racing greyhound, SCG requires that you read “Childproofing Your Dog” by Brian Kilcommons.
- We require that families with children 8 years old and under must have a fenced-in yard.
- Every family who has a child or children 8 years old and under will go through a secondary screening, a home visit, and the SCG board will vote on approval.
Please Note: Available greyhound visits are pre-scheduled with approved applicants ONLY!
ADOPTION PENDING | Flying Kenhana – Female Brindle
Flying Kenhana is a beautiful brindle girl, born in September, 2016. This sweet little lady walks very well on a lead. Our vols tell us she may come off a bit nervous at first but she warms quickly. Very curious about the world around her, “Hana” is interested in everything but startles a bit from loud noises. She tested well with our kitty but we’ll do additional testing to make sure she’s small animal and cat safe.
Bart’s I’ll Buy That – Male Brindle
Bart’s I’ll Buy That is a handsome three-year-old brindle male. Born in October, 2017, “Bart” is curious about the world around him. He’s always up for an adventure. Our vols tell us he’s interested in other dogs he passes on walks – and some squirrels, too! Bart seemed OK during his first encounter with our resident kitty, but we’ll test him again to be sure. Like “Hana,” he walks very well on a lead.
Not ready or able to adopt? Consider donating.
Donations are always needed for dog medical expenses and other program-related costs. Donating is easy via our PayPal button below. Thank You.